Christy needs to Blog: Were the 80's really that long ago?

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Were the 80's really that long ago?

I guess so. I read an article in my Time Magazine just yesterday about a radio format called Jack FM that eliminates the DJ and plays randomly chosen songs from a large database of music. I can't make up my mind about how I feel about a radio station with no humans really chosing the songs that play, but your general top forty station DJs don't have much say about what they play anyway. I was flipping stations on my car presets on the way home from my unofficial official last day of work and what did I find? Bob FM, a Jack FM knock-off.

That's really beside the point. The article ends stating "...big news being hidden behind Jack's robotic wall of attitude is this: Jack is the new oldies. Therefore, we all must be getting old." I actually remember the 80's and am still, after all these years, enjoying the music and wondering if helmet hair will return for everyone other than Donald Trump. (I don't want it to; I'm just curious if it will.) Does that make me old already? I'm not yet 30 and I don't feel old. Old is, I don't know, 70 or something. But "oldies" are now the 80's and when I was a kid, the "oldies" were the 50's and 60's. I don't know what to think about that. Maybe I should ask Bob.
posted by MamaChristy at 6:42 PM | 0 comments | |