Christy needs to Blog: "spectacularly unequipped"

Sunday, June 18, 2006

"spectacularly unequipped"

We watched the Ebert and Roeper reviews from the past two weeks last night. While we don't go to the movies very often, we really like to know what is out there. We don't feel so out of touch with the world of film when we watch this show.

There was a review for a movie called Twelve and Holding, and while I don't think that this is a movie I want to see, Roger Ebert used a phrase that I think is very applicable to me on many days. He describe the children as "spectacularly unequipped" to handle the situations in which they find themselves.

While I don't feel this way about the day-to-day activities of being a parent, when I look at the long term, I feel I am spectacularly unequipped to handle the trials that I know are ahead of us. Broken bones, bullies, and back-talk are things that I don't know if I can handle. And don't even get me started on going off to college - Lord willing - as I think I might need a sedative just thinking about it. Perhaps if they don't all happen in the same day, I will find a way to survive.

Then Mom-101 had a post about how much the news sucks these days and I realized I am spectacularly unequipped to handle that, too. How do I shield my child from all that yuck? Here's how: I can't. The truth is that no matter what I do, the news is still going to be bad and it will affect us. Hopefully I'll have more strength than I think I do.

On a happy note, Great Big Sloppy Wet Kisses to my darling J on this Father's Day. He's the best dad I could even imagine for my boy.
posted by MamaChristy at 12:01 PM | 0 comments | |