Christy needs to Blog: If someone had told me that one of us would start out the year with a profusely bleeding head wound, I wouldn't have guessed it would be me

Monday, January 01, 2007

If someone had told me that one of us would start out the year with a profusely bleeding head wound, I wouldn't have guessed it would be me

We were starting out our new year right - making a lazy morning out of taking down the Christmas decorations. I was shifting items around our storage closet, pulling out empty boxes and shifting items so that the various Christmas items would fix back in with some semblance of order. Things were going well and I was pleased with my progress. Just when you let your guard down, it happens.

I try to be both a thrifty and thoughtful gift giver. I have a "gift closet" and those items are stashed in the same storage closet as the Christmas items. I took the opportunity to put items reserved for giving on a top shelf so they would be a) easy to see, b) out of my way and c) out of the reach of little hands. I had placed an item so that it wasn't flat on the shelf but also wasn't at a precarious angle. I thought. As I knelt on the floor, moving my good china - still boxed from the move - over six inches to the right, the gift closet decided to fight back. It threw a air and water science kit squarely at my head with deadly aim. Okay, not deadly or I wouldn't be updating my blog, but painful at least. A corner hit about two inches back from my hairline. I gasping in surprise and saw six drops of blood on my jeans in a matter of seconds. I ran for the master bath and yell for J to help me. He was at the other end of the house and didn't hear. So I called again and he came running.

That poor man! I looked terrifying, stooped over the sink with one hand over the wound and blood streaming down my face. He went white and wasn't at all sure what to do for a few seconds. He ran and got me cloths to apply pressure as I tried to rinse my face a bit so I didn't look quite so scary. Fifteen minutes later the bleeding had nearly stopped and J started a bonus load of laundry to try and save my jeans from ruin. I sent him into the closet to make sure that the carpet didn't need any spot cleaning and he reported back that not only did the carpet and nearby boxes look untouched, the offending science kit also showed no evidence that it had caused a one inch gash in my head. Now that is the science we ought to be learning about! How to fall eight feet with no injury!

I know that I owe you photos - of Christmas, not my head. I'll get to it soon.

Hope you all had a fun and safe New Year's Eve! Happy 2007 and I'm hoping none of you start out with a bleeder!
posted by MamaChristy at 11:42 AM | 9 comments | |